Report online harm or illegal content
There are a range of organisations you can report harmful content to. Each of the organisations covers a specific area of content and has a role to play in protecting people from harmful and objectionable content(external link) online.
- The Covert Online Investigation team is a specialist Police unit that protects children from online abuse. If you are concerned about objectionable material online. See, How to report a crime or incident(external link).
- Netsafe helps people and schools experiencing harmful communication(external link) online, including harassment, bullying, abuse, grooming and privacy breaches under the Harmful Digital Communications Act. If you see any harmful content online, you can report it on our website(external link).
- The Classification Office is legally responsible under the Classification Act(external link) for determining if a film, video or publication is illegal or banned in New Zealand. If you suspect or think the content should be illegal or banned, you can contact the Classification Office(external link).
- The Department of Internal Affairs is responsible for enforcing the Classification Act(external link). The team investigates complaints and prosecute people who collect and distribute child abuse material online and ensures publication considered to be objectionable are not available to the public. You can report objectionable material on our website(external link).
Once these agencies receive your complaint or query, they will investigate and get in touch with the provider about the content in question.
You can also report through the social media platforms if you see any harmful content, such as bullying and harassment.
How to report on social media platforms
- Facebook: How to report on Facebook(external link)
- Instagram: How to report on Instagram(external link)
- Google: Report inappropriate content(external link)
- Roblox: Parent resources(external link)
- Twitter: Report abusive behaviour(external link)
- Snapchat: Report a safety concern(external link)
- Telegram: Report illegal content(external link)